12.01.2011

Creative Christmas Day 1





 Creative Christmas Countdown
You know the Creative Christmas Countdown started today right?  I am so excited as well as the other 23 of my blogging friends to share our activities with you each day.  I am not going to be doing every activity myself and you don't need to either.  If you do every activity you will win caregiver of the year award.  Lets face it December is a very very busy month!

I also am not going to post what you can do each and every day. You can refer to the Creative Christmas Countdown page over at Creative With Kids.  If you don't want to be surprised each day you can print out the list of activities ahead of time here.

I also wanted to give you a bit more info about this since I feel I may have been a bit vague in my last post about it.  Each day a different blogger is posting about an activity you can do with your family as you count down the days to Christmas.  That is 24 great and mostly simple ways to bring creativity to your holiday season.  You don’t need to worry about doing exactly what the day says, just let the idea inspire you. For instance when a day says, “A tradition with grandparents” You might think about just telling a story to your kids about how Christmas was for your parents. Make this simple for yourself!

So today started over at Let Kids Create with 24 days of holiday books.  This is an idea I have wanted to do for a long time.  It is an idea where you wrap 24 books up under the tree and each night before Christmas you let a child pick a present, unwrap it and then read the book as a family. You must check out Brooke's post about how to do it.  She has wonderful tips so you don't have to buy all your books.  I fortunately already had over 24 December themed books ready to go.  I am a bit crazy when it comes to buying books.  I probably buy about one Christmas type book a year and I have been given many more.

Today I went through our December book pile and chose 24 of our books that are now nicely wrapped under the tree ready to be read each night.  My 7 year old was thrilled!  She said, "we get to open a present already."  My husband thought I had bought 24 things for each night and was a bit upset until I explained.  Everyone enjoyed reading our first book tonight.

Here is the list of the 24 books we will be reading this month in case you are having a hard time coming up with 24:
  1. The Polar Express
  2. Snowmen at Night
  3. Olive, the other Reindeer
  4. Night Tree
  5. Mooseltoe
  6. Baboushka and the Three Kings
  7. The Legend of the Poinsettia
  8. If you take a Mouse to the Movies
  9. A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  10. Christmas Day in the Morning
  11. The Christmas Pea Coat
  12. Christmas Oranges
  13. The Donkey's Christmas Song
  14. No Room at the Inn: A Nativity Story
  15. A Christmas Carol (picture book edition)
  16. Clifford's First Christmas
  17. Merry Christmas Mom and Dad
  18. Laughing All the Way
  19. The Barnyard Night Before Christmas
  20. The Penguin who wanted to be different
  21. The biggest Christmas Tree Ever
  22. How Murray Saved Christmas
  23. Small Camel Follows the Star
  24. The last night we are going to read the Nativity story from the Bible
Click on the pictures to find out more about any of these books:


Is this a tradition you have done in your family?  If not will this be your first year doing it?

3 comments:

  1. I love your list of books! I'll have to see if our library has some of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of books - only 5 of them are ones I have wrapped. I am needing a few more still so this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning on doing a book advent next year, and added a bunch of books to my wishlist from your list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks so much. Feel free to leave your blog or email info so I can get back to you.